Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Our Part and Cheerfully

Hola Amigos! 
What a week! Something funny happened this week... I realized that scriptures are true to their word... Last week as I reflected on the scripture in D&C 60:2-3... I realized I needed to be more faithful in opening my mouth in all situations. Well... I guess Heavenly Father thought so too... the scripture says: "But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, and then it says... if ye are not more faithful unto me, it shall be taken away, even that which they have." Well this week... I got a really nasty cold, and one morning I woke up and LITERALLY couldn´t talk. No joke I´ve never lost my voice like that before. So lesson learned. The scriptures mean business. Also... I am thankful for sickness... because without sickness we would forget how good it feels to be healthy. I like being healthy. :)

This week we contacted a lot of the people we had met in the streets! One day we went to visit a cute little elderly woman named Nali, she´s 81 and just so precious. We asked her if there was anything we could do to help her and she thought for a second... got a suspicious look on her face and then pointed to the counter... where there was a dead mouse sitting in a mouse trap. She wanted us to take it out and dispose of the mouse. So fun. Hey we´re willing to help in whatever way right? Yuck.. I hate mice. 

This week I have been struggling to know how to help people progess.. since I´ve been here that has by far been the biggest challenge. People let us in and we have the first lesson and then nothing happens. Its so hard for me because as we sit and have lessons I truly can see so much in them, I see them as future RS presidents, future Young Mens presidents, future missionaries.. future faithful members of the church, but I just don´t know how to help them realize that potentional, ya feel? Its a struggle for sure.

 Sometimes I just get so frustrated, and feel like I am not doing enough. But I learned an important lesson as I read a talk this week by President Eyring ("Rise to the Call"... if you haven´t read it.. READ IT) What he said hit me hard... he said: 
"If I only think of my own performance, my sadness deepens. But when I remember that the Lord promised that His power would go with me, I begin to look for evidence of what He has done in the lives of the people I am to serve, I pray to see with spiritual eyes the effects of His power." 

Wow. So true. I know that it is so important to truly LOOK for the progress.. and see the ways HIS power is affecting the people! Because... it truly is that... HIS power. It´s not anything I am doing. It´s all Him. In the end of his talk he quotes D&C 123:17:

"Let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

I LOVE this scripture. What a relief. I just have to do my part eh?  I know that if and only if I "Cheerfully" do all in my power... the Lord will do the rest and his arm will truly be revealed. What a blessing it is to know I am not doing this work alone. :)
Con Amor, Hermana Matheson

 The trees here are so pretty :)





No comments:

Post a Comment