Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Power of A Prayer

HOLA Amigos :)
It is officially winter here and really cold. Well nothing compared to Utah winter but it´s still enough to make it feel like real winter. Such a weird thought that in Utah its blazin´ summer. Definitely not here, fun fact this week as we rushed out the door in the morning I grabbed what I thought were my gloves and once we were already in the street I realized they were my socks. So I walked around all morning with socks on my hands. Real cool.

Also... I am officially 20 years old. Holy moly. I really feel like I was turning 16 yesterday. Its definitely not fair how fast life is flying. But this birthday I really took a second to think about how AMAZING these 20 years of life have been. I have been so blessed to meet so many people, have so many life changing experiences and to be where I am today. I am excited to see what the rest of my life has in store... The best is yet to come right? That means its´s gonna be the best ever. :) I am SO blessed.

This week we visited a lady that we found last week. We were knocking doors, and she answered and she told us she was in a hurry and Catholic, we asked if we could just say a prayer with her real quick. She let us come in and she told us that she was having difficulties with her husband and had JUST been praying for help. We asked if we could pass by the next week just to "see how she was and maybe share something small" haha.... works every time. We came back this week and had a full blown lesson. But the best part, her daughter was there and at first seemed super stand offish and sat down and was half listening half texting, but little by little started to pay more attention. We got to know them better and started getting to know their needs. So golden. At the end of the lesson we asked Marianna (the daughter) if she would say the prayer. She was hesitant at first but in the end offered the prayer. It was so powerful. She ended in tears. The power of prayer is real, and is KEY in missionary work. In fact this week we had Zone conference and they put a lot of emphasis in the importance of having the investigators pray even when they don´t want to.... We looked at three scriptures...

 For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray (2 Nephi 32:8).

And they would not be baptized; neither would they join the church. And they were a separate people as to their faith, and remained so ever after, even in their carnal and sinful state; for they would not call upon the Lord their God. (Mosiah 26:4).

Ask, and it shall be given unto you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened (3 Nephi 14:7-8).

This week I have really seen the change that prayer brings when an investigator is willing "call upon the Lord their God", without prayer... we remain in a "carnal and sinful state".... He truly wants to help us and wants to bless us, but can´t until we humbly call upon him through prayer. I am so grateful for the power of prayer in my life. :) 
Con Amor, Hermana Matheson

 ZONDA. So pretty. 

 My cool comp and I sittin' on an indian head.


 Our cool sista friends from Pocito :)


 Selfie.

 Our cute friend Argentina. She´s the sweetest.

 World´s best bakery. Gave me 80 pesos worth of delicious things for my birthday. They are the best. We are great friends by now, sadly enough haha :)

 Cremona birthday cake hahah :) I love the Acerbi family.

 The Ortiz family, they live above us. So cute. Gave me a cake.

 Mirta too.. Cake for DAYZ

 20th Birthday! Say what?

Happy Fourth of JULY! My favorite holiday ever.
Also... my comp... such a good sport. I made her rep the USA too :)





No comments:

Post a Comment